Hamnøy is one of many fishing villages whose establishment is associated with fishing in Lofoten. For over 1,000 years, people have lived in Lofoten to fish and process it to stockfish (dried cod). They were transported south to Bergen and Trondheim, from where they were exported to Europe and around the world.
At Hamnøy the first buildings were constructed both as residential as well as hovedhus (manor) houses and utility buildings. In the mid-1870s the Wulff-Nilsen and Eliassen families appeared on Hamnøy. They started a story of Eliassen, Wulf-Nilsen and Ole Karl Rostad families that were involved in the organization of fishing, purchase and sale of fish.
Milestone in the development of Hamnøy was the construction of the pier in 1953. Look to the right side of the featured picture. Do you see open harbor? This is where the main road E10 is located today. Pier resulted in the creation of the safest harbor in the West Lofoten to the present day. Hamnøy was connected to the rest of the world by E10 in 1963 and construction of bridges in 1981.
Cultural trail on Hamnøy is currently under construction.